Of course, had the previous photo been taken 145 years earlier, it may have looked much like this instead. This accurate tintype photo of some of our students was taken at the Victorian Photography Studio in Gettysburg during our semi-annual trip there. First row left to right: Bret Cmar and Justin Cain. Second row: Helena Kotala, Dr. Steven Andrews, Dr. Brian Black, and Christine Jervis. Third row: Justin Shope, Maria Andrews, James Irion, Gabby Davis, Jared Frederick, and Steph Adams.
On a personal note, I would just like to express my gratitude for having the opportunity to lead such a stellar student organization and work with the fine faculty of Penn State Altoona. The instructors are indeed what makes the History Program special. A brief summary the society's accomplishments over the past two years includes:
- An increase in student membership from 12 to over 250 students.
- Sixteen free monthly history films.
- Three campus Living History Encampments.
- Volunteer work with the Blair County Historical Society
- Four volunteer work trips to Gettysburg National Military Park.
- Three field trips to Washington, D.C.
- Fall of Berlin Wall 20th Anniversary Commemoration.
- Battle of the Bulge 65th Anniversary Event, with proceeds going to local troop support.
- Spring Break History Trip to Kentucky and Tennessee Historical sites.
- Guest Speaker Historian Dennis Frye of Harpers Ferry National Historical Park.
- "An Evening on the Underground Railroad" Living History Event.
PSU Altoona History Society
2008 - 2010